Since 2000, I have been helping clients create beautiful, functional and easy-care outdoor spaces that enhance their homes and lives. Whether your home is newly constructed with minimal landscaping, or you want to renovate an existing garden, we can work together to envision your dreams.
My strong interest in native plants and healthy ecosystems enables me to include trees, shrubs, and perennials that provide benefits for the pollinators we depend on, as well as birds and other critters in the ecological web.
The photos above illustrate a renovation of two beds at a property’s front gate. Before, upper right: deer had browsed on these old over-sheared plantings. I designed mirror-image beds that feature deer-resistant, low-maintenance shrubs and perennials in varying textures to provide year-round interest.
Here are a few more of my projects: completed renovation of a shade garden, in-progress installation of a pollinator garden, and a custom-designed fence:
I offer several levels of service to suit your needs:
- One-time consultation at your home. We walk your property together and I tell you what plants are in your landscape and assess their health. I tell you if they need any special care and advise of any pruning needs. We discuss any new garden areas or how existing areas can be renovated. The cost of this service is $100 for properties up to one acre in size within a 50-mile radius of my home. If your property is larger than one acre, please contact me and I will give you a price.
- On-site consultation for establishing or renovating one or more garden areas. We meet to discuss the garden area(s) and assess your desires for it. I provide verbal suggestions and follow up with a list of plant suggestions and a summary of our talk. Billed at an hourly rate of $40/hr. including travel time.
- Full property design. We walk your property together and I listen to how you would like to use its various areas, as well as your likes and dislikes. You will need to provide me with a professional survey of your property that is drawn to scale and shows its boundaries as well as the footprint of your home. (You should have been provided a survey when you bought your home.) I follow up with a bird’s-eye-view sketch, drawn to scale, that depicts the proposed redesign, and we meet to discuss ideas and alterations. I then provide the finished drawing that shows placement of all new plants, as well as a plant list you can take to a garden center, installation plan, and seasonal maintenance plan. Billed at an hourly rate of $40 including travel time. (A ball-park estimate for most half-acre residential garden designs is $400, depending on complexity and extent of gardens.)
- Plant acquisition. I can purchase plants if you don’t have time or can’t find them. Pricing depends on the plants you are looking for.
- Installation assistance. I generally do not do the physical labor of renovation or planting, but I am happy to work with you, your gardener, or your contractor to lay out beds and place plants. Billed at an hourly rate of $40 including travel time.
- Garden coach. I will consider serving as a garden coach to help you with the physical labor if you are doing the work yourself and want me to teach you how to divide and relocate perennials and prune trees. Billed at an hourly rate of $40 including travel time.
I love putting containers together, and am happy to help clients with that too. Here are a few of my creations:
I also enjoy designing with cut flowers. Designing containers and flower arrangements is like creating a miniature garden!